Sunday, November 18, 2012


In room 10 we have been investigating different aspects of sustainability.   We had to answer this question:
what happens to the rubbish we throw away?
We throw away our rubbish in bins, then our local council picks it up and throw it away but where is away? Away means buried in the rubbish tip and the ocean too. Some of the rubbish doesn’t rot it just stays there for years, even generations! This lump of rubbish is like poison to our environment because of its gas. The gas is full of chemicals which is very harmful for us and our earth, unless it is managed properly.
There are three main types of waste: household waste, industrial and demolition waste. If it keeps growing our kids won’t have a place to have fun, it will just be covered in trash! If we remember to reduce, reuse and recycle there will be less rubbish and there will be more things in the future like paper, plastic and glass (all these things can be recycled!). So please remember to reduce, reuse and recycle so that our earth can stay like this and still look beautiful for a long time.
For my sustainability project I was looking at how long it takes for different items to decompose and what happens on a landfill.

For my inquiry homework I looked at composting, recycling and rubbish. Did you know you can use any waste that is natural to make compost? Just keep it in a bin outside, turn it over every now and then and when it is broken down you can use it on a vegetable garden.  Glass, paper, cardboard, plastic and aluminum can all be recycled. They are sorted in different parts of New Zealand and some goes to China to be made into new products.  The average New Zealander produces a lot of rubbish, which is compacted at landfill. It is put into the ground and covered with topsoil. Another method of waste disposal is burning but the rubbish is only reduced by 70%. The remaining 30% ends up in landfill as toxic ash.
For my inquiry I investigated where fizzy pop bottles come from and where they go when they have been thrown away. I designed a life cycle showing the process.